Friday, May 13, 2011

Rhubarb!

I wish I had posted a new smoothie recipe sooner... I just kept getting busy and blending our same old favorites. Tonight, after a day of playing on playgrounds and spending wonderful time with my daughter and husband, I decided it was time to drink some rhubarb. I've never had rhubarb before but I have heard of rhubarb pie. My logic is... if it can be made into a pie how bad could it be???
Drum roll..... rhubarb is delicious!!

I  blended:
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen Maine blueberries
1 cup frozen diced rhubarb
1 cup raw baby spinach
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 tablespoon honey
Green Tea

I added the honey after I blended everything because the rhubarb created a slightly bitter taste. After it was all blended we all enjoyed some -> my husband especially who needs a boost from playing all day, surfing this evening and is about to leave to play hockey tonight... and wake-up early to surf again (it makes me tired just to type that!)
FYI... the rhubarb is a little stringy, like celery.

I add spinach to almost all of my smoothies because I LOVE spinach and I want my daughter to get her leafy greens. Today I read an article about how a lot of toddlers are iron deficient because they don't eat enough iron rich foods... I feel confident my daughter is OK since she eats more spinach then most adults! I heart smoothies.

No comments:

Post a Comment